Experimental Sponge buns
8 oz of cream cheese
beat well with
8oz of sugar
and then add 1 teacup of shredded Coconut
add two eggs
and 12oz of sifted flour (SR or add 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder)
beat well
finally add
3 tbsp of Almond syrup ...the kind you add to coffee if you're that way inclined... (Almond essence and a little milk to make a stiff dropping consistency would work instead)
Spoon into paper cases and bake for about 15 mins in a 375 degrees f oven.
Eat plain or lightly ice or turn into butterfly cakes with a little cream cheese :0)
They actually worked...... not all my experiments do..the cream cheese was a healthier alternative to cheap marg (and we can buy it inexpensively at Costco)the coconut adds a little texture and sweetness..too much makes the bun dry and is obviously coco-nutty
adding just 1 cupful adds sweetness but doesn't stand out.
I'll add a photo shortly
Books read recently...
Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey
Wait for Me by Deborah Devonshire (Thanks Cath)
Unforgettable, Unforgotten by Anna Buchan
Non Fiction
(Have to go back home to the library soon ...oh dear)
One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
Natural Wooden Toys: 75 Easy-to-Make and Kid-Safe Designs to Inspire Imaginations & Creative Play
Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect. Samuel Johnson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Blog List... Chatty
My Blog List interesting
from an old gravestone
If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.
(from memory so may not be word perfect)
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.
(from memory so may not be word perfect)
I love that you seem almost surprised that it worked! Glad they were tasty. Looking forward to seeing the projects from your non-fiction books. I think you are going to be busy!
ReplyDeleteI was surprised Cheryl..lol My cooking can be rather hit or miss ...oops
ReplyDeleteThe books haven't gone further than the gosh that looks fun yet....but miracles may occur after a good nights sleep (poorly children awake at night some how drain all energy for the next day don't they..or is it just me?)
Interesting. Was the texture of the cooked cakes similar to the usual butter/margarine mix?
ReplyDeleteI think it was pretty similar Liz, the mix was whiter and the differences subtle ? less rich..if I hadn't mentioned the ingredient change they wouldn't have picked it up.
DeleteI tried it on vanilla cookies yesterday and the results were pleasing.
Will try the cream cheese idea , excellent thought ... I might try some grated carrot in mine ..........love to all xxxx
ReplyDeleteIt worked for cookies too Sis..I was going to take a photo but they all disappeared....
DeleteSounds good.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of almond syrup, so I have to use the almond essence alternative. Shredded coconut is not sweetened here - but I guess that's OK since I'm not very fond of sweet stuff.
Margaretha
I'd rather have the unsweetened variety too Margaretha, it's sweet enough naturally isn't it. Almond essence would be better I think..it's just my husband puts coffee syrups in his tea..so we have it on the shelf :0)
ReplyDeleteVal, on Saturday I was visiting a really interesting farm market. They had all kinds of flavored syrups, and I was wondering what they might be for. Now I know! I hope I can find that One Yard Wonders book in my local library.
ReplyDeleteI have to return it today Jodi...and I um and ahh ..should I buy it ? ..then I rethink the pennies and decide I'll just take it out again soon :0)
ReplyDelete