Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Deep and Crisp and Even


My brother in Law ...standing up in his back yard....

EDIT We're up to 126 inches as of this evening (6th March) 6.8 inches to go for a record!
Now I get to check here each day :0)




A visitor to my Sister and Brother in laws house ..the Moose just came over the fence and sat down for a rest. The depth of snow is making a miserable winter for moose.

It's even becoming a problem what to do with the stuff they clear from the roads...
see here

8 comments:

  1. Almost reached the record, if I'm reading the table right. As good as twice the normal. Amazing amount of snow. Poor moose. It must be tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard for them Cheryl..it's a real shame they are coming off worst on the roads and rail tracks as they use them as easier routes around, also being hungry makes them cross and they take offense easily at the best of times.

      Delete
  2. Hard to believe, really..... Fascinating photos, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try and post the snow clearance photos Rachel it's impressive to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would like to experience one (short) winter like yours but then I would have seen enough snow forever! What happens when the thaw comes? I hope you don't suffer floods. It all looks so beautiful but then you realise that it is really beyond our control, just as the sea is, where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature has it's own ideas doesn't it...it is very beautiful and part of me would love the snow to be record breaking...the other half keeps warily staring at the load on the roof and feels rather absurd looking over 6'6 fences that now seem about 3 feet tall :0)
      (We shouldn't flood here thank goodness)

      Delete
  5. It looks stunning! I bet the state doesn't come to a halt like the UK does when we get 2 inches of the stuff. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The expectation of a lot of snow means snow tires, studded tires, chains and lots of snow clearance..they plough regularly and remove the snow when it's stacked at the sides in quantity and the roads have narrowed. It's quite a thing to see when they clear it .I'll try and post photos. The sides of the main highways have wide shallow ditches built in to catch 'ditch divers' the same with the central medians.

      Delete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)