Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Candlemass 2nd February



today is Candlemass

"542 AD - This celebrated date started as Candlemas Day in 542 AD. by the edict of Emperor Justinian On this day. candles were blessed to be used all year long. Later on, in western Europe, it was considered to also be the midpoint of winter when people searched for some ...This celebrated date started as Candlemas Day in 542 AD. by the edict of Emperor Justinian On this day. candles were blessed to be used all year long."

info on Candlemass arriving in America here

and more on Groundhog day here

More info on February here




Share |


CEREMONIES FOR CANDLEMAS EVE

Down with the rosemary and bays,
Down with the misletoe;
Instead of holly, now up-raise
The greener box, for show.

The holly hitherto did sway;
Let box now domineer,
Until the dancing Easter-day,
Or Easter's eve appear.

Then youthful box, which now hath grace
Your houses to renew,
Grown old, surrender must his place
Unto the crisped yew.

When yew is out, then birch comes in,
And many flowers beside,
Both of a fresh and fragrant kin,
To honour Whitsuntide.

Green rushes then, and sweetest bents,
With cooler oaken boughs,
Come in for comely ornaments,
To re-adorn the house.
Thus times do shift; each thing his turn does hold;
New things succeed, as former things grow old.

by Robert Herrick

7 comments:

  1. I love the poem, it makes me feel quite hopeful for Spring to arrive, we are finally on the other side of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I'm from, four men dressed in top-hats yank a poor creature out of its den and delcare how long winter will last, depending on whether the groundhog sees its shadow. Oh the joys of living in PA...I prefer the beautiful poem and candlelight that you posted about. It appeals more to my romantic sensebilities; and besides--the groundhog said, "Six more weeks of winter."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Husband had me light one of my scented candles on the evening of the 2nd but no, not to celebrate Candlemas Day. More to do with new kitten and litter tray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poshyarns...At least it's getting lighter and the days longer which makes me think Spring is coming!

    Jodi... if they lived here any self respecting groundhog would resist being removed from its den as it's -2f this morning and falling

    Liz...the fond memory of wafts of subtle cat aroma...ok who am I kidding ..we have five of them and there is Nothing subtle about cat litter perfume...perhaps gasmasks if the candles don't work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val - you left a lovely comment about cinnamon bun glaze on my blog. Just wanted to say thanks! Love your blogs. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val,

    Hope you don't mind, but I got nosey, and did a search on your blog for snow candles. Well, all I can say is "Great minds think alike" lol. I also noticed you enjoy children's literature. Have you ever heard of The Penderwicks, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street or From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? My youngest daughter loved them--still does-- and so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jodi you're cleverer than I am ..I tired to send you a link to the page but comments doesn't like links...so I'm glad you found it!

    Older d loves the Penderwicks (me too!)We've never tried the mixed up files that'll be on the library list for tomorrow (Sat morning = library :0) )any more recommends gratefully received!

    ReplyDelete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)