Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham



John Wyndhams setting for his story published in 1957 was an ordinary rural village.
The village of Midwich was "almost notoriously a place where things did not happen."

"At the heart of Midwich is a triangular Green ornamented by five fine elms and a white-railed pond. The war memorial stands in the churchward corner of the Green,and spaced out round the sides are the church itself, the vicarage, the inn, the smithy, the post office, Mrs Welt's shop, and a number of cottages. Altogether, the village comprises some sixty cottages and small houses, a village hall, Kyle Manor, and The Grange.
The church is mostly perp. and dec., but with a Norman west doorway and font. The vicarage is Georgian; The Grange Victorian; Kyle Manor has Tudor roots with numerous later graftings. The cottages show most of the styles which have existed between the two Elizabeths, but even more recent than the two latest County Council cottages are the utilitarian wings that were added to the Grange when the Ministry took it over for Research."

The main Characters include Richard and Janet Gayford, Gorden, Angela and Ferralyn Zellaby, Lieutenant Alan Hughes and an assortment of officials and villagers.

The story begins as Richard and Janet Gayford try to return home to the village after a birthday celebration in London. They find that the police have blocked all roads into the village and the army are arriving.Turned back by the local policeman they are determined to reach home so park and walk across the fields towards home.
"I decided to follow Janet. She had perhaps twenty yards start of me by now, and then, just as I started off, she staggered, collapsed without a sound, and lay quite still..."

The perplexing puzzle of the happenings at Midwich at first seem odd but over time it becomes apparent that far more significant events have occurred. The villagers and the authorities responses and attitudes towards these events form the basis for the story.


I could get deep and discuss the deeper meanings/themes of the story it is classified as science fiction and is the story of societies/humans response to a devastating threat from the unknown, but I enjoy this stories very English setting and is a favourite of mine not least because I can picture and identify with the setting and the characters so well.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you write a good review! And the book sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review. I'm not big on sci-fi but this does sound good. Sort of an invasion of the body snatchers feel to it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know Nan it is science fiction in that it involves a mysterious visitation but it doesn't read like a science fiction ...the story is in the human response to a problem... which is probably why he's the only author classed as science fiction that I read...I read John Wyndham like I generally read Agatha Christie for the characters and settings rather than the science or the murder...hope that doesn't sound too daft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review :-)

    I read this book many years ago after first reading The Day of the Triffids and liking Wyndhams style of writing. The only one of his I didnt really take to was The Kraken Wakes. Did you read that one, and if so, what did you think of it?
    Jaki

    ReplyDelete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)