Today I listened to a Saturday night theatre from 1974.
" 25 May1974 Saturday-Night Theatre
Wildfire at Midnight
The novel by MARY STEWART adapted by STEWART HUNTER
' I knew. back there by the river, that sooner or later you'd remember.... I'd no intention of killing you. But of course I'll have to, now.'
The island of Skye in 1953. Coronation year.
Producer STEWART CONN
Contributors
Novel By: Mary StewartAdapted By: Stewart Hunter
Producer: Stewart Conn
Gianetta Brooke: Ursula Smith
Roderick Grant: Stephen MacDonald
Marcia: Clare Richards
Alastair: Derrick Gilbert
Nicholas Drury: Roy Boutchfr
Mrs Corrigan: Gertrude Bryce
Corrigan/Hubert: Brian Carey
Beagle/Col Cowdray-Simpson: Arthur Roland
Marion/Mrs Cowdray-Simpson: Thelma Barlow
Roberta: Sally Farrell
Persimmon: Clement Ashby
Dougal: Murdo MacDonald
Inspector: John Shedden
Sergeant: Charles Baptiste"
I love Mary Stewart's Romantic thrillers and Wildfire at Midnight is one of my favourites. So when I came across a recording of a Radio version I was
I think it's a well done production...lets face it a 90 minute play isn't going to cover all the content from the book. But enjoyable non the less..possibly a slight quibble with the choice of actor playing Nicholas Drury but maybe I'm being a tad picky!
![]() |
| Razzy (Erasmus)Mr.Kepsey(Kepler),Sagen,Darwin and Mr.Charon. |
Anyway the Summer passed and our one remaining cat who has never lived alone was wandering the house at night crying...so I began to search for a kitten (just one mind) to keep her company. By chance I came across a wonderful couple who rescue and rear kittens ..they were bottle feeding eleven when we met them. They had at least forty three kittens available for adoption . They don't let them go until they are vaccinated and spayed or neutered. They were such good natured kittens and so well reared. I was very , very impressed by the whole set up. But quite how we ended up bringing home two kittens ....is another story..... And it was all my fault!
We didn't know how Darwin (Our old girl would take to the kits (I expected fireworks) but apart from a very occasional and usually timely boxing of ears all is well. Darwin is happy again. Happier than we've seen her for a long time. She is now Queen cat and has Kittens to watch. Instead of spending long hours in her box she is out in the living room, ensconced on the best and most comfy lookout perch ...kitten watching. She has even allowed the occasional rub of noses. Its' very amusing to catch two rambunctious kittens dying to pounce on her tail but thinking better of it.
Here's just a few second glimpse of the new arrivals and Darwin.
![]() |
| Tinker |
![]() |
| Schrodinger |
Oh and if you fancy listening to the radio play ..just click the wireless.



Oh, so sorry to hear about the cats. Pets become such a big part of family life and leave a huge gap. But hello cute kittens!!! (Still another 41 available.....)
ReplyDeleteLove Mary Stewart (devoured all her books in my teens) and that's one of my favourite novels of hers so thanks for the link. She once said, 'I sometimes think it's a mistake to have been happy when one was a child. One should always want to go on, not back.' As someone with more than a tendency to hark back to the past, that struck a chord.
Have a good weekend.
I devoured them too! but isn't it lovely that they've stood the test of time.
DeleteProviding you don't live in the past I think a good childhood can help you ride the roughs and tumbles of life when it barrels at you full force. You may have to bend with the storm but you are blessed with good firm roots at base :o)
So sorry to hear about your losses but I'm so pleased to hear that the new arrivals have cheered things up. It doesn't matter how old our pets are, it's still a shock when they die. I also love Mary Stewart & am slowly rereading the novels. I had copies back on the 70s but bought copies of the recent reprints. I think Airs Above The Ground is next.
ReplyDeleteI love it when they reprint favourite books! Do you know if they have they reprinted "Wind off the small isles"?
DeleteI love Airs above Ground..my sis is going to Vienna for the weekend next month and isn't going to see the horses!!!!! It would've been my first stop ...She's an art gallery lass not at all horsey I love both and I love her ...lol
No, WOTSI wasn't reprinted. It was just the romantic suspense novels, not the Arthurian ones or this one. Maybe one day!
DeleteI am SOOOOO sorry to hear about your cats. No matter how prepared you are it is always a shock. They did reach great ages though. I'm not at all surprised you came home with two kittens, I wouldn't have been able to resist either x
ReplyDeleteThanks Selma ....I swear to goodness that I had one of those strange moments when you listen to you tongue acting all by it's self lol
DeleteBut I'm glad it did :o)
I am so very sorry about the loss of your kitties. But am so happy you got the kittens and that Darwin is so happy with them. My cat Raya is now 14, and I find myself wondering how long she may go on. She will very likely be our last cat. We got our first in 1969. Long time ago.
ReplyDeleteWe were just going to get 1 kit and I was most determined about this ...lol....we have a small house and moved too many cats with us from our old home ...but we couldn't leave them behind.
DeleteI feel so sorry for grown up cats at the animal shelter ..but the girls had never seen kittens and the kits needed homes too. (There were a lot of rescues from the Wildfires in Willow ..I think at least 35 homes were lost and many animals displaced..very sad)
Oh Val. Sorry to hear about the cats. Great ages. I'm not surprised Darwin was at a loss. The kittens are sweet and I am glad Darwin likes them being around.
ReplyDelete