Sunday, September 20, 2015

Kittens in the house

OK it's a long time since we've had kittens in the house and it's amazing what you forget about them...
They purr very loudly (well Tinker does..Shrody just purrs very quietly  he's very quick with his paws though...if there were an Olympic medal for speedy hooking he'd be working towards a gold ...buttered toast no problem...spoon of ice cream...easy)
They climb curtains with panache (not really the adjective that comes first to mind when I haul them off for the umpteenth time...those curtains are never going to look the same)
They are attracted to open doors, open boxes, the fridge and my feet ...and are often rescued / apologized too/ grumbled at ...  
They are natural hunters... score so far 1 mouse (yippee) and 1 tropical fish (no yippee and nearly no kitten as it managed to bring about said fish's demise by knocking the whole tank cover and light fitting into the tank... fortunately no one was electrocuted ..but blunt force trauma knocked off a fish and one very wet  kitten spent the rest of the morning washing himself and hiding his embarrassment.)
But darn it they are entertaining and very affectionate ....but hopefully running up the back of my legs for a lark will be a one off experience.
(and just at the moment they are all curled up pretending to be good)

10 comments:

  1. I've never had kittens, only older cats. Abby was my Dad's cat & came to me at age 10 after he died. She lived another six years. Lucky was 4 & Phoebe 14 months when I adopted them 4 years ago. Phoebe is still quite kittenish in her love of climbing but Lucky was well past that stage when she came to live with me. Have fun - if they don't kill themselves first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel for older cats at the shelter and felt a little guilty looking for a kitten until we found out that there was an abundance of kittens needing homes after the forest fires.
      Although I'm not too sure how much of our house will be left at this rate.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like they're having lots of fun settling in! Our house still bears the scars (oh so many) of our two cats' kittenhood, and they continue to drive me mad a lot of the time, but I do love 'em. The dog is rather enamoured, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Pup is too....if only they'd stand still long enough he could give them a good wash.
      So far his gleeful efforts to join in their games have resulted in dramatic fleeing.......

      Delete
  3. The cat, I had as a child, used to run up my legs and down again. I wore jeans until he grew out of it, but he used to climb up into the rafters in our barn when he had three legs and was in double figures. A wild cat, in deed. Glad dogs don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you lots of joy with these precious little ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I'm pretending I cannot hear them charging over the sofa as I type .....but they are very entertaining and when they are mellow very sweet :o)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We are very lucky Selma they are so good natured and fun ....but I do suspect that Christmas may be interesting .....

      Delete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)