I always used to be able to buy small pots of excellent hand cream from a beekeeper on my way home from work. It was a rich honey scented cream that sank into dry skin and moisturized so well.
But now I live several thousand miles and an ocean away and I'm not even sure that the bee keeper still lives on the country road I used to travel. But I hope they do.
Anyway having made some marigold salve from a recipe I modified and being pleased with it . I began to wonder if I could perhaps reproduce the rich honey cream I so loved.
With some experiments and trial and error this is what I ended up trying.
Honey Hand Cream.
1 cup vegetable oil. (I used ordinary kitchen vegetable oil..I'm sure special oils would be extra lush but I used what I had.)
1/2 cup of Beeswax pastilles (I dare say grated beeswax would work just fine)
about 1/4 cup of honey (also just off the shelf)
Method.
I heated a saucepan of water on the stove.
Placed all the ingredients into a glass heatproof bowl over the water (Water bath style)
Gently heated the mix until it was all liquid. (Beeswax is volatile so take care)
Removed it from the heat and stirred with a wooden craft stick every few minutes until it began to turn milky and set. Then I beat it for a little while and then scooped it into a small tin and left it to set properly.
So far on first test it's very good ..not exactly like the cream I bought but very satisfactory non the less. I daresay I will make it again and maybe experiment a little more.
But now I live several thousand miles and an ocean away and I'm not even sure that the bee keeper still lives on the country road I used to travel. But I hope they do.
Anyway having made some marigold salve from a recipe I modified and being pleased with it . I began to wonder if I could perhaps reproduce the rich honey cream I so loved.
With some experiments and trial and error this is what I ended up trying.
Honey Hand Cream.
1 cup vegetable oil. (I used ordinary kitchen vegetable oil..I'm sure special oils would be extra lush but I used what I had.)
1/2 cup of Beeswax pastilles (I dare say grated beeswax would work just fine)
about 1/4 cup of honey (also just off the shelf)
Method.
I heated a saucepan of water on the stove.
Placed all the ingredients into a glass heatproof bowl over the water (Water bath style)
Gently heated the mix until it was all liquid. (Beeswax is volatile so take care)
Removed it from the heat and stirred with a wooden craft stick every few minutes until it began to turn milky and set. Then I beat it for a little while and then scooped it into a small tin and left it to set properly.
So far on first test it's very good ..not exactly like the cream I bought but very satisfactory non the less. I daresay I will make it again and maybe experiment a little more.
How enterprising you are! Well done you. I wish I liked the smell of honey and beeswax products, but sadly I don't.
ReplyDeleteScents are funny like that aren't they...totally powerful in attraction or repulsion.... I don't think my OH dislikes the scent but I'll soon find out...so fingers crossed!
Delete