The puppy, who is now surprisingly long and large (30 something pounds at 15 weeks) is asleep. He has a strong character and it's been taking me a while to get used to him. My husband rather sensibly, diverted my despair with him with the gentle reminder that all he is, is a rather stupid young pup with more energy than sense.
He prescribed some games and a firmer approach to day to day behaviour. So if 'leave it' doesn't work Pup has to 'sit' which fortunately he's rather good at...and if that fails it's 'out' and Pup is banished to the backyard for a cooling off period..rather literally in our climate. (Before anyone thinks we're freezing him.. he has thick fur and loves the snow..and when he's calmed down he watches the ravens in the trees and seems quite happy...and when he is let back in is a 'New dog' well at least for a few moments.
My tone now seems to vary between bored unimpressed elementary school teacher ....to my attempts at an old school Sergeant Major...it just depends on my degree of exasperation/level of energy/and whether I still have a sense of humour or am having a serious sense of humour failure. Playing games has quite a different tone, silly and singsong ...and I really hope the neigbours aren't listening.
Viewing him as a toddler helps too, as it means I now prepare distractions to keep him out of mischief and we have play times as well as walks. Fetch/chase Mr Bear is very popular although rather hard on Mr Bear. Who keeps having to have vital operations after dismemberment attempts...before
after ER (Mr Sheep is offering sympathy)home made distraction/occupation toys help... stuffing a handful of dog kibble into a scrap of toweling and knotting it works, as does a knob of cream cheese in the middle of a cardboard tube with the ends folded over, a few pieces of breakfast cereal inside an open juice bottle takes him a while to empty..a little marg rubbed on his bone reminds him it's nicer to chew than my chair.
(He still likes a little chair as a condiment though..as if the cats stropping on it were not enough)
Items stolen and or demolished recently include...
1/3 of a grilled red salmon (that we all agreed was very tasty)" bet you didn't realize I was that tall" he was right...
training for the Salmon snatch
A tin of cat food ..."I didn't want it wasted on cats ...look how fast I can run with a tin in my mouth"
Numerous assorted gloves and mittens...."just training you to put them away"
A cup of tea ..."you thought I hadn't noticed that cup ...tea is rather yummy you know"
A towel that was still on the towel rail... "it's your own fault ..you hid treats in toweling'
A raid on the cat tray "just being helpful" that door is now shut
Numerous pens
A bright pink plastic horse with wings ...whose beauty is only appreciated by small girls and puppies
Ditto pink soft toy unicorn
Ditto pink soft toy puppy
A soft toy sheep ("well I am a sheepdog") Mr Sheep nearly took the place of Mr Bear as a favourite game toy but his owner objected strenuously....just because you have too many soft toys (In your Mother's opinion) doesn't mean you won't be heartbroken if Mr Sheep becomes a puppy toy (Have you forgotten what he did to Mr Bear????)
I know I'm a heartless parent...it's Ok Mr sheep is safe ..I may make a copy of Mr Sheep for play purposes..Mr Sheep's Cousin ....
spot the clue....
I could go on but you get the idea...and rereading this I think despite November being a record of over 32 inches of snow I better go out for a walk , buy coffee and chocolate biscuits and talk to some humans before I start to talk to Mr Sheep!
No even the weather won't let me out ..we have a freezing rain advisory so I better be sensible as when it was icy last year I broke my leg and I've only had the sling off my arm for a week ...I think I need to keep my body in one piece...so I'll have to settle for tea and perhaps I should make a cake....
God bless you, Val! My daughter Joy, who's now an adult, still mourns the loss of her favorite soft toys that fell victim to our Lab. We have cats now.
ReplyDeleteMost sensible Jodi...Our Cats agree with that being the best idea!!!!
ReplyDeleteI object because Blackie does not like to be chewed! I was the person to train him to sit!
ReplyDeleteBlogger Kate!
Ah, the joys of living with a pup. Boo has turned out to be a Great Big Wuss, scared of the vacuum cleaner, scared of the sound the mobile phone makes, just wanting to sit on laps (preferably the mister's) the whole time.
ReplyDeleteA Wuss sounds very attractive actually.. the pup is a bit big for his boots at times
ReplyDeleteI think your next project should be writing a story on the exploits of this very errant pup ! The blog made fab reading and I am in total sympathy of your predicament however I am not sure that I would have had your patience - it would have berth salmon that was the major undoing ,!!!!
ReplyDeleteMuch love h xxxxxxxxx
I don't envy you the puppy stage, really! But he's quite gorgeous, and you probably laugh as much as you groan. And one day he'll be dignified and plodding, and you'll reminisce fondly about his toddler days.....
ReplyDeleteWe hope so Rachel....that's what we keep trying to convince ourselves..lol
ReplyDelete