Friday, December 9, 2011

Cough Mixtures

For My Sis (and anyone else with a sore throat!)



Lemon and Honey Cough Mixture

Two Lemons (Juicier the better)
Honey 10 tbsp (5 fl oz)
Glycerine 4 tbsp

Squeeze the juice and mix with honey and glycerine.
Stir well, bottle and take by the spoonful as needed.




Cinnamon Cough Sweets

2tbsp Rosewater
Powdered Gum Arabic ('bout two teaspoons)
Cinnamon
Sugar

Warm Rosewater stir in Gum Arabic add equal quantities of Cinnamon and Sugar to make a stiff paste as it dries roll into lozenges.

Recipes form Sloe Gin and Beeswax by Jane Newdick
isbn 1-85368-973-4



Good Books to read that are Cheerful and Seasonal


Twelve Days of Christmas
by Trisha Ashley

8 comments:

  1. I'm busy sipping lemon and honey for my cough at the moment. I will add some glycerine to the next batch as it sounds very soothing.

    Oh these winter coughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see me needing this before the winter's out so thanks for the hint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! where does one find gum arabic? On the internet, I'm guessing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sis starting to feel a little more human and the voice returning ( though some would not say that was a positive) love you lots speak soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. But where exactly can you buy gum arabic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to try making these. When I really need them, I'm in no mood to make them. Maybe I could make a batch in readiness, although that seems somehow pessimistic. Now you see why I've not got round to making any!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gum Arabic in the USA from here

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UYIQ5M/ref=s9_simh_gw_p121_d1_g121_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_r=05DK9V42JSBMJFAWJS4V&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938451&pf_rd_i=507846

    Gum Arabic in the UK from here

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AC-PRODUCTS-Arabic-Gum-Powder/dp/B002AKA3U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323802167&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)