Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Maids of Honour





Quick recipe ...

3 cups all purpose flour sifted with 1 rounded tsp baking powder
2 sticks of butter or marg (chopped into small cubes)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (personal taste)
water to bind

rub fat into flour, add sugar and enough cold water to make a soft pastry you can roll out.

Roll out and Cut out circles and use to line greased shallow patty tins (this recipe makes 2 dozen tarts) (you could try muffin tins but they are deeper so watch for oven temperature and baking time changes)

spoon a 1/2 teaspoon of jam onto each circle (don't go mad or it'll bubble out)
red jam like Raspberry is traditonal... I used Strawberry ..because it was what we had!

beat 1/2 cup sugar with 1 stick butter till soft, add 1 egg beat well, fold in 1/2 cup ground almonds and enough flour to make a stiffish cake mixture (1/2 to 1 cup of all purpose flour plus 1/2 tsp baking powder)
I added a small teaspoon of Almond syrup to the sponge mix.I only had whole almonds so whizzed them in the food processor 'till ground.(blenders work at this too but it's noisy)

add a spoonful of this mix onto each jam tart base

bake for about 12 - 15 minutes ..my oven was at 375 degrees but it runs a bit warm.

cool on a tray (the jam stays hot so be patient)


There are lots of variations of this recipe, the earliest dating from the time of Henry the VIII.... So they are interesting and rather Yummy!

4 comments:

  1. These look lovely, Val. I haven't had one for many years but the memory of that almond flavour has come flooding back. Thanks for the recipe, I'll give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, lovely. My late aunt used to make these all the time. Anyone who visited her always came away with a little box of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I've seen recipes for these but never pictures. They look really yummy. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're disappearing at a rate of knots so traditional recipes still seem popular with hungry children..I have to confess I only snapped pictures of the ones younger daughter measured the jam for...I can never stop myself and always put too much in and it bubbles past the topping and looks rather eccentric (still tastes yummy though..lol)

    ReplyDelete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)