Monday, August 24, 2009

Summer in Homer Alaska



Fishing at the end of the Spit by the Ferry Dock




First fish! (very yummy barbequed and served with chips!)










Happy Dog





Alaskan Summer beach attire do you like my subtle hat?




'Camping' on the beach (well Homer Spit actually)






for info and aerial photos of Homer spit see









Crab washed up with the tide



Hermit crab trying to hide




(We gave him some seaweed and put him in a tide pool after we'd taken the snap)


Star fish - Sunstars





This is My Beach








State Ferry Arriving








We sat drinking tea and watched the kids building a huge sandcastle in the sun, thinking how typical a seaside activity this was I finally decided to stroll over to admire it. to be greated with "it's NOT a sandcastle Mummy it's a huge lump and we're Antibodies and when it's big enough we're going to kick it to bits and destroy it..."
and sure enough they did !











8 comments:

  1. Well - I have never thought that Alaska had nice beaches like that - gosh, and catch your own tea too! The salmon look as willing to be caught as herrings do mid-Channel.

    I am very flattered that I am in the same blog roll as Stephen Fry - even though I'm below him - way, way below intellectually! And I didn't even know he HAD a blog, I thought he just twittered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised too!I followed someones link from their page and there he was (so to speak!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun photos! It looks like a very happy family enjoying the beach, and what a beautiful place!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful isn't it Robin, we were very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very nice to see a post from you, Val! And what pictures, what country! Do you and your girls know Kermit the Hermit by Bill Peet? Wonderful book, as are all of his.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nan! and as I've never heard of that book..how lovely another new author to try!

    We've been enjoying "The Penderwicks:a summer tale of four sisters,two rabbits and a very interesting boy" by Jeanne Birdsall
    It was a very enjoyable read! Val

    see
    http://www.jeannebirdsall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wonderful pics... scenery and children both delightful. Amazing that I can be sitting here in Devon looking at your photos of Alaska. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cath, It's lovely to be able to exhange news etc over great distances and timezones isn't it (I was trying to avoid saying it's a small World but have failed... lol)

    ReplyDelete

from an old gravestone

If you hold your nose to the Grindstone
and you leave it there long enough,
Then soon you'll say
there's no such things
as brooks that babble
and birds that sing,
these three will all your world compose,
just you, the stone and your poor old nose.

(from memory so may not be word perfect)