Last night I dumped 3 teacups of flour into a big glass bowl added 1 tsp of salt, 1 rounded teaspoon of dried yeast and about 2 teacups of warm water ..perhaps a little more and stirred it all together until it was a rather soft almost sloppy dough.
I put the lid on and left the mix on the kitchen table until the next morning (so it proved for about 18 to 2 hours.) This morning I set the oven to 450 f and put in the cast iron lidded pan to preheat for 1/2 an hour. Then I took the hot pan out of the oven rather carefully and added the soft ball of dough (that I'd very roughly shaped into a sloppy ball on a well floured board.)
Popped it into the oven with the lid on and there it stayed for 30 minutes.Then the timer buzzed and I removed the lid and let it cook for 10 more minutes. Then it was lifted out onto a rack to cool and there was my first Rustic style loaf, crusty and tasty...yippee!
I put the lid on and left the mix on the kitchen table until the next morning (so it proved for about 18 to 2 hours.) This morning I set the oven to 450 f and put in the cast iron lidded pan to preheat for 1/2 an hour. Then I took the hot pan out of the oven rather carefully and added the soft ball of dough (that I'd very roughly shaped into a sloppy ball on a well floured board.)
Popped it into the oven with the lid on and there it stayed for 30 minutes.Then the timer buzzed and I removed the lid and let it cook for 10 more minutes. Then it was lifted out onto a rack to cool and there was my first Rustic style loaf, crusty and tasty...yippee!
Trying again to leave a comment. Your bread looks yummy and I bet it smelt gorgeous. My round loaves always spread too much. I'll try a crock pot next time. Must get baking bread again. Hope all you guys are well.
ReplyDeleteI'd never thought to try a pot until I was googling for recipes and getting frustrated at the price of baking stones! I think I'll try this recipe again but perhaps with something added?
ReplyDeleteWe're staying close to the woodstove at the moment as it's cold and cough season and the weather is rain on ice ..so rather yuk!
Did it taste as good as it looks?
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to try one of these for ages, but the breadmaker always gets the better of me.
It worked out well , nice texture and crust..a bit bland if anything but I think that was the flour and recipe I used! I'll certainly try it again :0)
Delete