Reading at bedtime or 'being read to' at bedtime has always been something to look forward to....
whether tucked up in a warm bed with a good book and a warm drink, or curled up on the sofa by the woodstove,surrounded by a very furry warm dog and numerous cats, there is something about a cosy setting for a good story that makes for a very relaxing end to the day.
But and it's a big but! it has to be the right story...
too exciting and you won't be able to put the book down, or if you can, your brain or their brains!, will be so alive and rushing about that the chance for a good nights rest has gone with the wind! this seems especially true when reading to children...
and the choice is even trickier when reading to different ages at the same time, a mildly exciting story can be fine for the 7/8 year old but be a recipe for overexcitement and nightmares for the younger 5/6 ... some books have to relagated to the 'daytime only' reads pile, others to the "older child only" and some to the "when you're both older pile"
So I thought I'd record some of our shared reads and see which books (for us at least) make the grade!
The Wonder Clock by Howard Pyle
Each story is illustrated with black and white drawings (engravings I suspect?)of a very William Morris /Craftsman feel. The stories are interesting and end satisfactorily and the audience is requesting more.
There is an interesting entry at wikipedia on Howard Pyle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Pyle
Of the Wonder Clock they state..."Each tale was prefaced by a whimsical verse telling of traditional household goings-on at that hour, illustrated by his sister Katharine. The tales themselves were written by Pyle based on traditional European folktales."
EDIT
Oh drat and darn it ..I didn't preread the third story and it opened with a basket of ducklings being sat upon and not surviving the experience...instant result ..horrified look on face of six year old..self realising that quick thinking wasn't going to get me out of that hole... [well quick thinking might have but my brain wasn't in any sort of state to do anything that involved quick.. I was more ready for bed than they were and I'm afraid that is not an unusual state at 7 pm]
result floods of tears, not quite the intended bedtime ambiance I must say.
So back into the library bag it goes until I have time to have a good read first and out with the picture books...gosh I like Helen Oxenbury!
Val, this lovely post has inspired me to dig out my children's favourites from 20+ years ago. There were too many to write about in a comment so I've done a post about them on RD.
ReplyDeleteMaureen
OOOHH How excellent, I'm off over there now for a good read!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Ooh yes. It is tricky when Something Nasty happens that you haven't expected, particularly when you don't have time to edit selectively!
ReplyDeleteI would have been crying too! I am really not a fan of fairy tales or folk tales. I've read all the stuff that says they are 'good' for kids, but I just don't believe it. I never liked the scary stories when I was little, and indeed some of them still lurk somewhere in my memory. I will do a post soon listing some books I loved reading to the kiddos, and will link back to this post. I'm all about nice stories for children just as I am for me!
ReplyDeleteMine loved Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr Fox - it was a staple bedtime book for years. Lots of villainous doings by the farmers, Boggic, Bunce and Bean but nothing too gruesomme. No squashed ducklings, that's for sure!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check Mr Fox out next..They loved Charlie and the Chocolate factory, so it should be a good choice. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteAnd don't miss 'Danny Champion of the World' and 'James and the Giant Peach' and then there is 'The BFG' and, and ..... I could go on forever!
ReplyDeleteI read a blog entry yesterday I thought you might like with regard to this question -
ReplyDeletehttp://kathie.squarespace.com/a-sparrows-home/2009/3/16/happy-sigh.html
The comments as well as the post are filled with great titles, many I have read and loved, too.
Thanks for thinking of us Nan
ReplyDeleteThat looks like a very rewarding site!
btw Oldest dau has mastered the pancake recipe and made them at the weekend "all by herself!!!!"
Great article with great photos.............. keep it up..................
ReplyDelete___________________
Smarry
No Credit Checks instant Payday Loans
Great article with great photos.............. keep it up..................
ReplyDelete___________________
Smarry
No Credit Checks instant Payday Loans